Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Moment of Reflection

Today I was reminded how little I know about the lives of my students.  Sure my students share with me, but what they don't say speaks louder than what they do say.  As a teacher, I don't pry for details about my students' lives.  I'm afraid to find out the worst.  Just when I think I know the worst of it, I find out more.  Ever been in a situation where you want to do more for a student (outside of academics), but were afraid a parent would be offended?  It has happened more this year than ever before.  God tugs at my heart strings and I just trust Him.  I follow through with what He wants me to do, praying He will take care of the rest.

Whether it's clothes, shoes, food, or just an extra hug, students need us.  We are on the front lines.  Constantly scrutinized and under appreciated.  But for those of us called to teach, it's not about that.  Yes, we like to be appreciated, but something within us is deeply satisfied when we can help a student feel loved and cared for.

Just today I saw a former student at Target.  He asked if we had read Maniac Magee and I had given everyone a Butterscotch Krimpet.  He may not have remembered learning figurative language or theme with the book, but he remembered those moments with a great book.

I have 16.5 days left with my current group of students.  I pray I take advantage of all the moments and create more memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment